Monday, October 6, 2014

FREE: Witches Brew Bottle Labels

Whether we know where it comes from or not, we have all heard the line: "Double, double toil and trouble; Fire burn, and cauldron bubble". This conjures up visions of witches hunched over a huge black cauldron, stirring their witches brew - and with good reason. It's the famous scene from Shakespeare's "Macbeth". If you've never read this scene, it's worth the couple minutes it takes to watch the conniving witches at work. I have typed out the scene for you along with some free bottle labels to make your own witches brew display.


ACT IV SCENE 1 
A cavern. In the middle, a boiling cauldron

(Thunder. Enter the tree Witches)

FIRST WITCH:      Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd 

SECOND WITCH:   Thrice and once the hedge-pig whined

THIRD WITCH:       Harpier cries 'Tis time, 'tis time.

FIRST WITCH:        Round about the cauldron go;
                            In the poison'd entrails throw.
                            Toad, that under cold stone
                            Days and nights has thirty-one
                            Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
                            Boil thou first i' the charmed pot.

ALL:                     Double, double toil and trouble;
                            Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

SECOND WITCH:    Fillet of fenny snake,
                            In the cauldron boil and bake;
                            Eye of newt and toe of frog,
                            Wool of bat and tounge of dog.
                            Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
                            Lizard's leg and owlet's wing,
                            For a charm of powerful trouble,
                            Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

ALL:                     Double, double toil and trouble;
                            Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

THIRD WITCH:      Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,
                           Witches' mummy, maw and gulf
                           of the ravin'd salt-sea shark,
                           Root of hemlock digg'd i' the dark,
                           Liver of blaspheming Jew,
                           Gall of goat, and slips of yew
                           Sliverer'd in the moon's eclipse,
                           Nose of Turk and Tartar's lips,
                           Finger of birth-strangled babe
                           Ditch-deliver'd by a drab 
                           Make the gruel thick and slab;
                           And thereto a tiger's chaudron,
                           For ingredients of our cauldron.

ALL:                     Double, double toil and trouble;
                            Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

SECOND WITCH:   Cool it with a baboon's blood,
                           Then the charm is firm and good.

(Enter Hectate to the other three witches)

HECTATE:            O well done! I commend your pains;
                           And every one shall share i' the gains;
                           And now about the cauldron sing,
                           Live elves and fairies in a ring,
                           Enchanting all that you put in.  




I have had it in my  mind for quite some time to make some witches brew bottles, and have been on the look out every time I go to the thrift store for some awesome looking bottles to make them out of. I think I had about three or four bottles collected when I saw this rack of bottles - I am assuming they were originally vinegar bottles or something. When I saw it, there was more than likely an audible squeal of delight that escaped my lips! I was so excited I did a happy dance right there in the store, these were SO perfect!!!



I came home, customized the labels to fit my newly purchased bottles, made a sign for the top, and here is my wonderful witches brew display. I am loving it!! I am excited I finally was able to make this project.

Here are the labels I made. Hopefully you will enjoy them as much as I do.










No comments:

Post a Comment