Tuesday, April 26, 2011

The Shedding Of Youth Ritual

Time. It's such a funny concept. When I look at this picture of Jessica, taken only hours after she was born, it feels like just yesterday.... sometimes: other times it seems like forever ago. I have enjoyed every stage of motherhood immensely and I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything. We are all getting ready to move onto a new stage, and excitement is what I feel most of the time, but occasionally I feel anxiety. This weekend was a big dose of anxiety, when I cut all of my daughters youth off.


I see it every year in the salon. Girls getting ready to graduate from High School and go onto College needing a change. I guess they feel like their lives will be changing so their looks should change with it. I always have at least one or two girls in a year chopping the locks off. Jess was no exception and was the first to come to me for said change.

Normally I love these transformations. Watching the young girl turn into a young woman right before my eyes. Seeing them feel so grown up after shedding their youth and ready to take on the world. This wasn't just some clients youth I had just cut off though, it was my daughters. I will admit I was having a few heart palpitations while performing this rite of passage.

It took me some time to get used to it, and Aaron even longer, but after only about an hour or so I loved it. I loved seeing her feel so grown up and sassy. I am having so much fun watching her get excited about the new chapter in her life and I am most especially enjoying watching her turn into the woman she will be for the rest of her life.

Time does go by fast, and you have to cherish each moment as it comes because it doesn't stick around long. Right now, I am enjoying this moment.

Jess's Before Pictures


 
After Pictures



No comments:

Post a Comment