Friday, February 17, 2012

I Think I Can, I Think I Can

By Amy Hamblin
 
Do you ever have those days where you try and try but your kids just kept getting the best of you?  I have one child who just always challenges everything I say.  It is completely exhausting.  Sometimes when this child walks into the room I tell myself, “be patient, be patient.”  Sometimes it works but sometimes…not so much.


I have been literally praying for patients along with doing some reading about having some patients.  I think that for this child I honestly need both.  There are so many negative effects on children who have parents with no patience.  It can cause low self-esteem, depression, anti-social behavior and anxiety.  Just hearing the nasty effects that a lack of patience can have has given me more patience.

I have also read that having patience can have amazing effects on not only the child but the parent as well.  It creates respect between you.  Having patience tells your loved one that you do not always think of yourself first and that they are important.  Taking time to teach a child a skill instead of doing it for them shows that you love them and want them to succeed.  That is particularly difficult for me sometimes.  If I just tied the shoe or washed the dish it would get done so much faster and probably better.  I need to breath and just let them do it, give them a chance to learn and grow.

None of us are perfect parents but tying to have patience puts us one step closer.  Make a point today to try and focus on that little, or big, loved one in your life that can just push your buttons.  Tell yourself that you will be patient with them.  If you start to loose it, take a deep breath and tell yourself that you can do it.  Smile at them, talk with a happy voice and keep trying to be patient.  Maybe if we pretend long enough it will eventually become a real attribute.

Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment