Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Keep A Gratitude Journal

It's really easy to get caught up in life, especially during the holidays. There is so much that needs to get done, places to go and people to see that there isn't much time left for anything else. Thanksgiving is the perfect time to remind yourself of all the blessings in your life. I challenge you this year to start a gratitude journal.

Every day, slow down for 5 - 10 minutes and take time to reflect on all of the many things in your life you have to be grateful for. Write down in a journal at least three of these each day. At first this will be easy - family, friends, home, food, car - all the givens will come right away. After a week or so however, it will become a little more difficult. This is where it's really important and becomes very reflective. Now you are going to have to dig deep and really look at your life.

I did this a few years ago and it was amazing to me all of the many blessings I had in my life that I just took for granted: the fact that I had a house big enough that I can park my cars inside of it, that I have a very driven and motivated personality, and even simple things like climbing into bed on fleece sheets. I even started to look outside myself at all of the wonderful things my family and friends do for me. That I have a husband that isn't afraid to do the dishes or cook dinner for me, that my kids will text me an "I Love You" out of the blue, or that my girlfriends want to meet me for lunch and spend the day with me. I started noticing the beauty around me more - the beautiful colors in the changing leaves, the clean smell after it rains and the comfort a burning candle brings me.

We are already a couple of days into the month, but I am going to start my journal tonight. I am looking forward to the few minutes this activity will give me to sit and reflect on my life. I know that the things that I am most grateful for now will be slightly different than they were a few years ago, as my life is a lot different now than it was then. My kids are gone, my career has changed slightly and my relationship with my husband is always evolving and getting better.

Start your journal today as well. Anything will do, a note on your phone, a Word Doc, an actual journal (which is what I have) or just some notebook paper you steal from the kids' school notebook. It doesn't matter where or how you keep it, the important thing is to just do it and really look at how amazing your life is. Even when life is tough, there are things to be grateful for, and it's even more important during those tough times to look for the good.

What a wonderful holiday! I love that Thanksgiving is based on gratitude and giving thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment