Monday, June 29, 2015

Blueberry Muffins

I love blueberries. I love them so much that I put in a small blueberry garden in my yard. One of my favorite things to do throughout the summer time is to get up in the morning and pick a handful of blueberries to throw into my granola - and let me tell you, there is nothing better than a just picked, ripe blueberry!! Towards the middle of summer the blueberry bushes are weighed down with all of the amazing plump berries and we are able to pick them by the handfuls. So yummy. Then it becomes muffin time. 


The blueberries are going gangbusters this year. We have had a hotter than normal spring and it's just moving into our summer. Mid 80's-90's is the norm around here as of late (and living is Seattle, that is an unusual phenomenon). Though the house gets a little warm, since we don't have air conditioning, the garden is loving it. I have already gotten a couple batches of blueberries, with several more ripening as we speak.



This morning I made up some of these delightful muffins, early before the house got too warm. Can't wait for breakfast tomorrow!! If you don't have a blueberry garden of your own, head out to a U-Pick or farmers market: your muffins will be just as good.

INGREDIENTS:

3/4 Cup Milk
2 TB. Canola Oil
2 Egg Whites
1/4 Cup Applesauce
2 TB Honey
2 Cups Whole-Wheat Flour
1 TB. Baking Powder
1 tsp Salt
1 Cup Blueberries


DIRECTIONS:

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees. Line Muffin tins with cupcake papers.

Beat milk, oil, egg whites, applesauce and honey. Stir in flour, baking powder, gluten and salt and mix until just moistened. Fold in blueberries

Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake until golden brown - about 15 minutes. Immediately remove from pan and put on a cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment