Sunday, January 16, 2011

Top 10 Romance Movies That Guys Like

Whenever you think of Valentine's Day you think romance movie! But, it's always difficult for a gal for get her guy to sit down and watch one with her without comments and gagging all the way through. So, ladies, here are my top 10 pics for romance movies that guys will like too.


1. Princess Bride - 1987 - Rated PG

Very easily the number one pick on this list. This movie has, hands down, the best sword fight ever filmed. An awesomely told tale of a kidnapping, pirates, giants, an evil prince, torture and true love.










2. 50 First Dates - 2004 - Rated PG-13

There is something about the chemistry between Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore on the screen that make an instant hit. Throw in Rob Schneider and you will be laughing all the way until the end.

A story of a guy afraid of commitment who finally finds the perfect girl. Only one hitch - she has short term memory loss and forgets him every day.







3. The Wedding Singer - 1998 - Rated PG-13


Speaking of Adam and Drew! If you grew up in the 80's like I did this movie will really speak to you through the clothing and music. If not, you will still love it. It's all about finding the one you are compatible with.










4. Groundhog Day - 1993 - Rated PG

Well, what can you say? It's "Bill Freakin' Murray"! A hugely hilarious movie about a news weatherman living the same day over and over again and simultaneously trying to attain the skills to get his co anchor to fall in love with him.










5. Far and Away - 1992 - Rated PG-13


Tom Cruise. The actor you hate to love. How can someone so.... how you say?.... annoying, make such great movies?

First set in Ireland and then moving to America during the big 1893 Oklahoma land give away, this movie will win both your hearts. A great story of dreaming big and doing what it takes to achieve those dreams.







6. Ever After - 1998 - Rated PG-13

Here we are with the lovely Drew Barrymore again. Cinderella is one of the most enduring tales of all time. Throw in Angelica Huston as the evil step-mother and you have magic. The "real" story of Cinderella.










7. The Man From Snowy River - 1982 - Rated PG

This movie has one of the best horse chases ever invented!! It is also, in my opinion, on of the best rolls that Kirk Douglas has ever done, playing two rolls as twin brothers. The scenery shots are larger than life and the story is very well told. A great movie.









8. Pearl Harbor - 2001 - Rated PG-13

This movie is perfect for both of you! A very touching love story for her and amazing dog fights and war scenes for him. VERY well filmed. And, like Aaron says... Um, Kate Beckinsale!











9. The Terminator - 1984 - Rated R

Okay, there is a small amount of controversy over whether or not this movie should make my list. I have this to say. What is more romantic than a man traveling through time for the woman that he loves? Plus, the never ending mind play on which comes fist - the father or the son?

But seriously, this movie is awesome and has it all! Explosions, car chases, gun fights, and yes - a great love story behind it all. The FX are dated, but the story is so good you can forgive them. Arnie's best movie EVER!




10. Annie Hall - 1977 - Rated PG

My last pick is a little different. Why? Because I have never seen this movie. I have it here because it has such huge reviews EVERYWHERE that I am including it as the movie that I am going to watch this year. It is on my Netflix Queue as we speak. This is my personal Valentine's pick for this year.









What's on your list this year?

3 comments:

  1. Duh!! Of course Princess Bride! When Scott and I were talking about it my list also had Far and Away and Ever After on it too!! I do have to say that Terminator sounds pretty questionable to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that the love story is very sub plot, but it is there, and a very strong part in my opinion. I mean, the guy frickin' goes through time for a woman he loves but has never met and they fall deeply in love in a very short time. I LOVE the love story in this movie. Is it my fault that the rest of the movie is just completely kick ass?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever After is easily one of my favorite movies of all time. I love that movie! Another V-day favorite.....Pride & Prejudice - the new one. Oh, and Sense & Sensibility - the scene at the end kills me everytime! Hmmmmmmmm these may not be great movies for the guy - but still great valentine movies!!

    ReplyDelete