Wednesday, February 16, 2011

For One Shining Moment I Got To Be "Mommy" Again

Jess got a black eye this weekend. Alex, her boyfriend, hit her.... with a racquetball. They have been dating for over a year now and have become really close. It really upset him. I got this text...

Alex: You better get some ice ready. I hit Jess with the racquetball and she's hurt pretty bad.

Me: Where did you get her?

Alex: In the nose and eye


Crap! I have been hit by a racquetball before and that hurts! I have never gotten it in the face before though and I could only imagine. It's bad enough to get hit with one of those things on the back or the arm. Aaron and I mentally prepared for what would come through the door and paced around the house until they got back.

In she comes, paper towels on her face covered in blood. She had her composure gathered until she walked into the door. She took one look at us and lost it all over again. It was like seeing us allowed her to show what she was really feeling. She ran into the comfort of her parents. Her refuge.

After the mayhem was over and we got her contact out of a swollen eye, blood cleaned up off the face and ice pack carefully placed, she went back to the arms of Alex. But, for one shining moment her parents were all she wanted. She knew we were going to make things better.

I know that as time goes by, as she gets older and in more serious of a relationship, that her refuge will change. Mom and dad will become secondary in her life. That is okay, because that is how it is suppose to be, but for now we are the safe house. That place where she can go to feel comfort and support.

I was so glad that Aaron and I were home that day to take Jess in, help her get situated and make her feel comfortable and safe. Of course, as our family does, we could then tease her about her shiner for the rest of the day. She would get so mad at us for making her laugh because it hurt her eye. 

I wouldn't have had it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. I hope that my kids feel the same way about us and our home! It does change though doesn't it? Whenever I am sad or hurt I only want Scotty! I remember the days when I used to want my mommy. It will be sad when my kids get there but your right...that is how it is supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember very distinctly when that changed for me. It was when I was in labor with Jeff and having such a difficult time. My mom tried to comfort me, but all I wanted was Aaron. I know that day will come, and probably faster than I will be ready, but I can at least be comforted in the fact that I still have a small piece of my little girl to myself.... for now.

    ReplyDelete