Friday, March 11, 2011

Green Eggs and Pancakes

I tried corned beef and cabbage for the first time the other day, the traditional St. Patrick's day dinner. I'm not a huge meat eater and the thought of cooked cabbage really didn't appeal to me, but I thought "What the heck!", and I gave it a try. Why did I not try this on St. Patrick's day? One: we are leaving for vacation the next day and I didn't want a bunch of leftovers. Two: We already have a tradition in our house.
 
We started eating green eggs and pancakes when the kids were just super little: it's been so long now I can't even really remember when we first started. True to form, I was looking for fun ways to celebrate the holiday. Corned beef and cabbage just didn't appeal to me, for the aforementioned reasons, and I knew the kids wouldn't like it. Then it hit me, as I was reading to Jessica one morning (good ol' Dr. Sues!), Green Eggs And Ham, that's a good idea.

Oh wait, I don't like ham, (Besides, how on earth do you make ham green? That just sounds unhealthy!) but pancakes...... I LOVE pancakes, and that would be easy to make green. That was the day our tradition was born.

How did I feel about the corned beef and cabbage the other night? It was okay, I ate it, but I think I will be sticking to my green pancakes.

My Pancake Recipe

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup powdered milk
3 Tb. Vital Wheat gluten
1 Tb. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
2 Tb. Honey
2 Tb. Canola Oil
2 Eggs
1/3 cup sour cream

A few drops of green food coloring

Directions:
 
Mix all ingredients together with enough water to make your batter the consistency you prefer. Grill on an electric skillet. 

2 comments: