Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Man Cave: Defining Strength

Clint Eastwood , Arnold Schwarzenegger, Chuck Norris. Real men's men. Tough guys.

But I'm here to tell you "tough" has got nothing to do with "strong".



In my opinion the word "strong" has lost its meaning. It has joined a small but important group of words whose definitions have all become murky and misunderstood through casual use; words like "love", "courage" and "hero". These words are often handed out as freely as name tags at a class reunion, without thought or care. In my post today I'm going to try and correct that in whatever small degree I can.

I'm going to define strength.

But first let me say what I think it is not. Stoicism is not strength; it is merely passionless indifference. Compelling someone to follow your commands is not strength; it is force. Threat and intimidation are certainly not strength. In fact they are the weakest kind of dominion, held in place by nothing more than physical advantage, and certain to fail at the first opportunity.

Real strength is a commitment to one's principles above all else, even when that means hardship or financial ruin. It is the moral courage to do what one believes is right, even in the face of ridicule.

Strength is passion and conviction in one's purpose, whatever it may be. Each of us is living our own life story, with different experiences, circumstances, challenges, and ambitions. It is conviction and passion for our own ideals that inspires and attracts other people, and motivates them to follow of their own free will.

Real strength is not selfish. It has room for compassion and empathy. It considers alternate viewpoints, and seeks not to repress others, but to empower them.

Real strength is rare.

At least that is how I see it.


3 comments:

  1. Wow!! That is a powerful definition and I agree 100%!! I want to be that kind of person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...what are you two doing here? This is the Man Cave!!

    ReplyDelete