Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pig Out Party

A Pig Out Party is something I did years ago, as you will see from the pictures in this post. I think Jeff is about 9 years old here.

When our kids were younger we didn't have a lot of money (well, we still don't have a lot of money but it's enough). Since we didn't have enough then do go out and do fun things I had to be inventive with making being at home fun; I think that is why I am so holiday obsessed. A lot of my ideas back then were silly things with food, most especially dinners. 

There was always some crazy thing I was doing at dinner time and Aaron was so good to go along with my craziness. I'm not even sure I can remember where I got all of my ideas but I know we spent a lot of time at the library and then I think once your brain is on a certain track it kind of just goes on it's own.

I do remember, however, where I got this little gem of an idea. I have a book that was my bible when the kids were younger. I used that thing a lot and would highly recommend it; "A Home Full Of Fun" by Shelley Willie. I think I found this book at a garage sale or something and it definitely paid for itself! As with most ideas I find, I take a little of the original idea and then expand or change things to suit my style. Do the same thing with this. Suit it to your style.

Pig Out Party!

The Dinner

1. While grocery shopping, pick up some of those cheap, disposable, casserole trays. When we did this dinner, I saved even more money by just using pie pans that I had at home. Aaron had a relative long ago that owned a Plush Pippin so we had a lot of those pans laying around. (funny, I think I still have one or two of those!) You will be using these as "troughs" to serve your dinner in.

2. Make your family's favorite dinner. Of course, the messier the meal the better! Things like spaghetti or stroganoff work great. We had Swedish Meatballs.

3. Fill the "troughs" and set them out on the table. Everyone must eat their dinner without using their hands. If you have small children they will get a kick out of watching mom and dad eat like pigs.




The Activities

After dinner we played Pass The Pigs. It was one of our favorite games back in the day before our kids got old enough to play more thought provoking games. Pass The Pigs is an amazing game that any age can play and it's an inexpensive game to boot.

Dessert

I made pink popcorn balls into pig heads for our dessert. I arranged them as a "candle ring" for the centerpiece on the table. I used construction paper for the ears and raisins for the nose and eyes. You can sort of tell here. Of course, if I was a blogger back then I would have taken a better picture of just those...

 
Be inventive, have fun and throw caution to the wind. Get down and dirty and your whole family (especially the kids) will have a blast!

1 comment: