Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Halloween Book Mini-Marathon


 Guest Writer Amy Hamblin

Here is how we made reading fun at our house last night using our little Halloween library and completing homework at the same time.


Over the 9 years that I have had children I have gathered a little collection of Halloween stories.  I love listening to my kids read.  Even though it is part of their homework everyday to read for at least 20 minutes they are not required to read “to” me.  I usually help them with the homework that they actually need help with and then send them off to a quite place to read for the next 20 minutes.

Instead of having my kids go read on their own last night I had each of them choose two books to read out loud to the family and then I picked a book to read to them when they were both finished.  We rotated who read so that the other one wasn’t sitting and listening for 20 minutes while the other one read.  It was really a lot of fun and we got half way through our little library.

It is fun to see the progress that your kids are making in their reading skills.  It is just such an important skill and something that will make them life long learners.  Plus reading the Halloween stories put you in the mood for costumes and trick-or-treating.

No comments:

Post a Comment