Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Mason Jar Lanterns

Guest Writer: Amy Hamblin

Making crafts is always a fun and festive part of the holiday season.  Although there are many “fancy” crafts out there for me to do that make my house stylish I prefer the kid’s crafts.  I am just at a phase in my life where having a kid craft on the wall next to all the dirty finger prints looks better than to try and put up something fancy that just doesn’t go with my motif.


I try and do at least one new craft each year so that my kids do not get bored with the fun.  This year I found Mason Jar Lanterns and it was a hit…even for my husband. 

This is everything you will need for the project except maybe a pair of scissors.  I could not find orange tissue paper so I just bought some orange napkins and they worked just fine but tissue paper is easier.  Modge Podge is one of my favorite craft items because you can use if for so many different things and it is easy to scrape off counters after kids are finished with it.


First cut strips of tissue paper.  Then put a little bit of Modge Podge around the rim of the jar and attach one of the tissue paper.  From there, add tissue paper and coat with Modge Podge until the entire jar is covered.  To add a face, cut small pieces from the black tissue paper, place them where you would like them and then Modge Podge over the top.  That’s all there is to it.  You can tell, hopefully, the difference between mine and my kids but they loved it and asked to do it again next year so I guess that means that it was a hit.



There are two different things that we have found to do with these besides just using them as a shelf decoration.  First, you can fill them with candy and deliver them to a friend or neighbor.  Our favorite, however, is to put tea lights in them and use them as actual lanterns.  


No comments:

Post a Comment