Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pumpkin Balls

Guest Writer: Amy Hamblin

It is that time of year again.  My kids and I love the month of October because that means that it is the beginning of craft and treat season! 

I wanted to try something that I had never done with my kids before.  Here is what I came up with. 








We made up a batch of Rice Krispie Treats.  While in the marshmallow melting phase of the recipe we added about 5 drops of red food coloring and 3 drops of yellow. We then made pumpkins with our Rice Krispie mixture. I put it all into a big bowl to make it easier for kids to help with the pumpkin making process.   
 

Both kids had a sheet of wax paper in front of them and then got a small portion of Krispie mix that they could form into balls.  (Note: Make sure they work it back and forth quickly in their hands because it is still hot and we do not want any crying during a fun treat making activity.)  After the balls are formed let them put a piece of halved pretzel stick in the top for stems!  It is a very cute little treat. 

My kids even stuffed some with mini Reese’s Pieces.  It was a fun activity, did not take that much time and made a good memory…I hope.

 

In case you do not have a Rice Krispie recipe:

¼ Cup butter
4 Cups Marshmallows
6 Cups Rice Krispies

Melt butter in large pot and add marshmallows.  After marshmallows are all melted poor in the Rice Kripies a little at a time while mixing until it is all mixed together well.  You are now ready to make your pumpkin balls.

1 comment: