Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Pilgrim Hats

Guest Writer: Amy Hamblin

We do not find as many easy to do projects for Thanksgiving as we find for both Halloween and Christmas but there are a few.  Finding them or thinking them up is the hard part.  I never hesitate to improvise on someone elses idea.  When I can use what I have and get pretty much the same result I think it is a project well done.


I saw this online except that instead of marshmallows they were using Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.  I do not know how they got them to stick on because as soon as I saw their end result I knew how we would do it differently, and most importantly, how we would do it cheaper!


Here is everything you need:
-Shortbread Cookies (or chocolate covered grahms will work)
-chocolate chips (maybe a cup)
-Big marshmallows
-a little frosting and yellow food coloring (I bought a jar because it was cheaper than a little tube but either will work)
-toothpicks (I used shish kabob sticks just for fun)


Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave.  One minute was enough for mine.  Then roll your marshmallows around in the chocolate and completely coat.  Set them on top of the cookie, chocolate side up.  Put them in the fridge to harden.  It took about 5 minutes or so.  Squeeze on the little yellow square in the front of the marshmallow.  


 My kids loved this project and it was so easy and took us hardly any time at all.  I think that we will be making these on Thanksgiving again.  It will give all the little cousins something to do so that the grown ups can keep to their card playing!

1 comment:

  1. I love that and yes, cheaper is always better for us to. We did one where we glued macaroni onto a "turkey hand" and Jade has been doing it for three days! But yours looks much tastier!

    ReplyDelete