Monday, March 5, 2012

Coffee Shop Win!

I never really understood parents who let their kids do whatever they wanted, wherever they were: wreaking havoc on everyone around them. I know a few like this, that just sit down and tune out to their kids with complete disregard to how those said children are effecting all the other people in the room - destruction left in their path.

Here is one mans brilliant answer to just such an episode in a local coffee shop - my complete hero.


This story was told on BlogerHer.com by  Maybe Baby Maybe Not and I loved it, so I wanted to share. I don't know if I would have the cahoonas to do this, but if pushed too far I just might..... awesome!

* * * * * *

"Erin’s dad was at the Manhattan Beach Bagel Company -- one of his usual haunts -- spread out with his breakfast and the newspaper, poised to enjoy a lovely morning.

Then the wrecking crew came in. A tattered, wits-end-looking couple and their two little terrors, trailing a veritable monster truck rally of plastic vehicles. Which they proceeded to race around, bumping into other patrons and causing a general ruckus. Meanwhile, the parents sat enjoying their breakfast in a dreamlike state of oblivion.

Erin’s dad gathered up his things, dragged a chair right up to the parents’ table, sat down, and returned to reading his paper. The following exchange then took place:

Parents: “Um, hello?”

Erin’s Dad: [Folds the paper down to get a look at them. Smiles.] “Morning!” [Folds paper back up.]

Parents: “This is our table.”

Erin’s Dad: “Oh, I know.”

Parents: “Then what are you doing here?”

Erin’s Dad: [Folds up paper slowly for maximum dramatic impact. Sets paper down. Leans in conspiratorially. Lowers voice.] “You know, it’s the weirdest thing -- there’s these two little shits running around, wreaking havoc through this entire restaurant. Slamming into people with their toys. Yelling, screaming. But oddly enough, this seems to be the one table they’re not bothering. So I thought I’d take shelter and join you.” [Wink.]"

picture taken by Simon Garnier

No comments:

Post a Comment