Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Go Shopping!

My mom is a widow, and so consequently lives alone. Things can get a little boring and lonely when you don't have someone to share things with. I have come up with the perfect solution to taking care of my mom, giving her the time she needs and still be able to get all of the things done that I need to.

I take her shopping with me!
 We never do anything fancy: usually she just runs my errands with me and we grab some lunch. Grocery shopping, going to the bank and any other menial task that needs to get done is what we do on our weekly outings, but we do it together and usually have great conversion in the process. I have to go out anyway, so why not take her along?

I started doing this a couple of years ago, and it has been amazing in building a better relationship with her. She is also much happier when she has something to look forward to, and she has a permanent date each week to get out of her house.

It really doesn't take much to show someone that you care about them and you can be creative in giving them the time that they need. One of my girlfriends has started doing this with her mother as well, when she saw how successful it was with my mom, and she is already noticing the same changes in her own mother after only a couple of months.

All it takes is time, and if you are creative you have all the time you need.

picture taken from the three tomatos

No comments:

Post a Comment