Monday, October 13, 2014

Black Bean Pasta

I found the best thing for Halloween food since candy corn! It's black bean pasta, and its amazing. It looks creepy, it tastes great, and - ready for it - it's actually healthy!  Win, win in my book. Organically made with nothing but black beans and water, there are no funny ingredients, you will get a protein punch from the beans, and it looks so cool on your dinner plate. You'll definitely want to give this a try.


I kept my pasta dish simple for a couple of reasons. I didn't want to weigh down these beautiful spaghetti noodles with a fat-laden cream sauce and I wanted the amazing black color to shine and not be overshadowed by any color an added sauce would create. Of course, sky's the limit, and you can do whatever you want with your noodles, but here's my quick and simple recipe:

Ingredients:

1 - 7 oz. package of black bean spaghetti
1 Orange pepper, cut into thin strips
1 Tomato, diced
1 Tb. olive oil
1 Tb. diced garlic
1 tsp. onion powder
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

Boil noodles according to package directions.

While noodles are cooking, saute up your peppers in a non-stick pan with a little bit of water. If your water cooks away before peppers are soft, just add a little at a time until peppers are cooked and completely soft.

When noodles are done cooking, throw them into your pan with your peppers with the olive oil, tomatoes, garlic and onion powder. Cook for just a couple minuets, until ingredients are well mixed and noodles are coated with spices.

Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on top when serving. The orange peppers against the black pasta looks so amazing. 



As you can tell, I am super excited about this new discovery, and I think I will be playing around with new and exciting ways to serve this. If I come up with another winner I will be sure to share.

In case you missed it up top in the ingredient list, here is where I found my pasta. I just ordered it from Amazon:

Explore Asian Organic Black Bean Spaghetti



They have a lot of awesome, unusual pastas and noodles. They have an adzuki bean pasta that is a beautiful red color that will probably show up this Christmas too. Not very often you can have a super fun dish that is ultra healthy as well. This fits the bill.