Wednesday, November 26, 2014

5 Things To Think About This Black Friday

I love Black Friday: my daughter and I have been chasing down deals for years now. We are NOT one of the crazies that can be seen in the stores at ridiculous hours however, and we will NEVER be seen in a line longer than 5-6 people - there just isn't a deal worth all that. For us, it's just a great girls day, and we enjoy every minute of it. There are a few things about Black Friday however that I completely disagree with. I would really ask you to think about them before heading out.


1. It's Black Friday, NOT Black Thursday. Stores are opening earlier and earlier all of the time. Now, midnight isn't good enough, they have to be open on Thanksgiving day. This is a huge irritation to me. Coming from the position of having my dinners cut short in the past because I've had children, or nephews, that have had to go to work, it really sucks! Thanksgiving is about family and when you shop on that day you are denying some people the opportunity to enjoy being with their families. It's a matter of supply and demand. If there isn't a demand for the stores to be open, they won't. PLEASE reconsider shopping on this day, and wait for Friday. Let everyone enjoy time with their family.

2. It's Not The Clerks Fault. Most retail employees are kids trying to put themselves through college or a parent trying to come up with a second income to help raise their families. They are not the person who sets the prices, makes the deals or designs the ads. It's not their fault if you missed the deal. It's not their fault that something is more expensive than you thought it would be. Give them a break. They more than likely are tired because they had to get up early to serve you and are stressed because they have crazy shoppers coming at them from all angles. Be kind to them.

3. RELAX! Okay, pet peeve here. Standing so close to me that you are pushing your cart into my ass, or swearing and complaining the entire time you are standing in line, isn't going to get you to the front any faster. You have chosen to be out on the craziest shopping day of the year. Relax, sip on some tea while standing in line (yes, I bring my tea shopping with me every year actually) and just enjoy the sights and sounds. If it stresses you out and turns you into something you would expect to see during the zombie apocalypses, then go home and do your shopping on Amazon.

4. Have Spacial Awareness. I can't tell you how many times I have been standing still, looking at something, and someone comes up into my space because they want to look at what I'm looking at. Be courteous to your fellow shoppers. Don't shove, cut people off, or fight.... unfortunately I have seen all of these. Really? Is the $3 you are going to save on that pair of socks really worth it? It's Christmas people. Carry that spirit with you when shopping, and be happy and friendly. It's a much better and more enjoyable experience that way.

5. Read my Post: 10 Tips For Surviving Black Friday. Jess and I have been at this game for quite a few years now and we have come up with a fairly fool-proof plan. It's a day we enjoy more than just about any other day of the year, because it's our day. It's a day that should be enjoyed. For me, it's all about the transition from Thanksgiving to Christmas, and really gets me in the mood for the upcoming holiday. I love all of the decorations and music and being in such a festive environment. Plus, I absolutely love the time I get to spend with my daughter, especially now that she is all grown up.

What this all boils down to is about being courteous and enjoying the day. I mean, think of the line from a favorite Christmas tune "Peace on Earth, Goodwill towards Men". Can you get into the Christmas spirit if you are yelling at the clerk or fighting with your fellow shoppers? If that's how you're acting, your missing the mark.

No comments:

Post a Comment