Friday, December 19, 2014

My Top 5 Christmas Movies

I love movies. I love curling up with some popcorn, a blanket, the lights down low and the sound up high. Action is probably my favorite, but I love just about anything depending on my mood. There are a few movies that in my opinion make Christmas complete, and it just doesn't feel like Christmas until I watch them. Here are my top 5 Christmas movies - and no, Die Hard and Sound of Music are NOT Christmas movies.






#1 - CHRISTMAS VACATION


Hands down the-best-Christmas-movie of all time. This movie will have me cracking up every single time, and I have seen this movie A LOT. The duo of Chevy Chase and Randy Quaid are perfect. Yes, Quaid is off his rocker, but that personality fits the bill with his character Cousin Eddie. Our number one tradition every single year on the first Monday of December - put up the Christmas tree, eat pizza and watch Christmas Vacation.






#2 - ELF



There is something so sweet and positive about the innocence of Buddy the Elf that wins me over every single year. It's a silly movie with a wonderful message, and I try to be more like Buddy every day: kind, happy, helpful and positive. "I just like to smile. Smiling's my favorite". 







#3 - A CHRISTMAS CAROL


 I love the book and I love the move. It has been done over and over, in just about every single style you can imagine, because it's such a great story. With that said, there is only one version that I absolutely love and count on every year: the George C. Scott as Scrooge. There are some actors that were just born to play certain roles. You would have no Terminator without Arnie, no Riddick without Diesel, and George C. Scott as Ebeneezer Scrooge . If Dickens were alive today I'm sure he would agree. Scott's performance in this film is so amazing that it moves me every single time. You hate him, feel sorry for him and then love him unconditionally. 






#4 - MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET


 Another movie that has been done several times over the years, but I am old school and love the original. I love to watch the evolution of the relationship between Kris Kringle and Suzie, the attitudes of all those involved change and soften and my favorite scene of all time - bag upon bag of letters to Santa dumped onto the judges desk. It's a sweet movie, with awesome characters and great little story. "I believe..... it's silly, but I believe."






 #5 - FOUR CHRISTMASES


Oh-my-gosh. If you want a funny Christmas movie to watch, this is it. The first time I saw this movie I was just about rolling on the floor it was so funny, and even after watching it for several years now, I still crack up. With a cast of heavy hitters, including Vince Vaughn, Reese Witherspoon, Robert Duvall, Sissy Spacek, Jon Voight and more, you realize that maybe your family isn't as dysfunctional as you originally thought. You will never think of the game Catch Phrase in the same way again, it's the best scene in the movie. Just looking at this screen shot from the movie is making me giggle.........


If you haven't seen one of these movies, I would highly recommend you go out and get them and watch them this season. If you have, then you know exactly what I'm talking about. There are a lot of Christmas movies out there, and some that are pretty decent, but non that come close to these five - In my opinion of course.

Now I am totally in the mood to laugh, so it's Four Christmases for me tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment