Sunday, April 17, 2011

Gearing Up To Send My Daughter To College

A new phase in life is quickly approaching me. Aaron and I just spent the day yesterday driving Jess and her friend over to Central Washington University for their Open House. The main attraction for the two of them was touring through the dorms that they will be staying in. It was very fun, and hard at the same time, watching Jess walk around the place she will be calling home in a few short months.


I have had a few people ask me if I'm starting to freak out that she will be leaving soon. A small part of me is, I will admit. Jess and I are very close and she is one of my best friends. I have to say though that the bigger part of me is excited. I am excited to watch her grow up into a confident and capable woman; to be her own independent person apart from Aaron and I; to watch her decide for herself who she is and what she wants out of life.

This is what it is all about my friends. I have done everything that I can to raise her with good principles, to be independent and to make good choices. My job is done. Most of what I can teach her in life I already have. I can still be there for her to help her through things when she asks, but in the end she will already know what I will say - she will just need an affirmation to what she already knows. 

This next  year and half will be hers. Hers to decide for herself who she wants to be and what she wants to do. Now is the time to sit back and see how we did as parents all of these years. I am confident that she will do great and I am excited for her. 

Only a few more trips over to CWU before we make the final trip and come home by ourselves, leaving Jess to her future. We'll see how I feel on that day.... I'll let you know.

I would love to hear from those of you who have already gone through this phase in life. For me, it is so much easier to learn and grow myself through people who have experienced things before me, instead of trying to figure out everything on my own. Advice, experiences and what to expect would be most appreciated and welcomed.

No comments:

Post a Comment