Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Gossip Is Like Toothpaste

Years ago we were having a family discussion about gossip and the dangers of saying things about other people. When trying to explain something to young kids, it almost always is helpful to have an example to go along with it for better understanding. I used toothpaste, and it worked great.


I started out by giving each one of my kids a tube of toothpaste. I then told them we were going to have a contest. I wanted to see who could get all of their toothpaste out of the tube the fastest.... ready, set, GO! Giggles and grunts ensued and they had a blast squeezing until their tubes were empty: they looked at me expectantly. I then proceeded to plunk down a $20 bill onto the counter. "The first person to get all of their toothpaste back into the tube the fastest wins this $20." It only took them about two seconds to realize that wasn't going to happen in a million years.

Gossip is like toothpaste. Once the words are out, there is no way to get them back in again. You can't take back what you say, so you need to be extremely careful about the words you choose. You should never damage another persons reputation in the heat of the moment and say something you will regret later. 

picture taken by Smile Warehouse

No comments:

Post a Comment