Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Marshmallow Miracle

Guest Writer: Amy Hamblin

Last week we had our first rainy day since June.  I can’t believe that it has been that long since we have had a nice rainy day.  The kids went outside every time it stopped raining, but they would always be back inside in less than five minutes when the rain would pick back up.  Every time that they came in they would find their way to my feet where I would hear the classic: “Mom I’m bored, Mom there’s nothing to do, Mom I hate the rain, Mom what can I do, Mom…Mom…Mom” 


Finally I decided I better find something for these little cuties to do or I was going to loose it!  I went into the kitchen thinking that we could make a tasty treat together but my heart wasn’t really in it.  When I looked in my pantry a fantastic idea was forming in my mind.  I grabbed a bag of mini marshmallows and a box of toothpicks and there it was: the best rainy day activity ever!! 

I gave my kids the marshmallows and the toothpicks and said, "Build your little hearts out.  Build up, build out, build any which way and let me know when you are done".  I left them to it on the kitchen table and TWO HOURS later they came and got me to look at the amazing things that they had created.  It was a fabulous two hours of solid book reading time for me and fun for them.

After we all had a chance to look at their creations and inspect all the “cool” things that they wanted show off, they decided that they didn’t want to be wasteful: this is something we have been working on at our house.  They took their creations apart, marshmallow by marshmallow, ate every one and put the toothpicks back in the box to use next time.  I have two separate boxes of toothpicks now but so worth it!

1 bag of mini marshmallows…$1
1 box of toothpicks…$1
2 hours of uninterrupted reading time…Priceless!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment