Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Shopping For The Essentials

Day three. Jess and I spent all day together shopping. It was a fun, but get down to the details, kind of day. There were still a lot of odds and ends essentials that needed to be purchased in order for Jess to have a successful time at college: you know, laundry soap, cold medicine, microwave popcorn and shoes... the absolute essentials ;o).


It's amazing how expensive it is to send your kid to college and then how much more expensive it is for that said college to allow them to stay.... which reminds me, I still need to make a dorm/tuition payment. Word of advice, if you are even thinking about having kids, start saving for their college now. Holy Crap! This is our second one to go, but Jeff lived at home so we didn't have all of this extra expense. 

There was one bit of advice I received from a friend who has gone through this several times now that I liked, and am trying to follow. She said "Try to make the dorm as much like their bedroom at home as you can. That way, even though they are away, they feel at home". Silly as it sounds, one of the things I am looking forward to the most is leaving early with Jess to set up her dorm: to help her get it all cozy and comfortable for her. That is where she is going to be spending the next year and half of her life.

Emotionally? Still hanging strong. I had a great day with Jess yesterday and we both had a few moments of "I can't believe this is really happening", but we were having too much fun being together to dwell on it. After everything quieted down and I climbed into bed for the night to read, I did have a few feelings of anxiety, but then I got into my book and they went away. 

Not gonna lie, feeling a few this morning, but doing good. It's really anxiety mixed with excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment